Toby, what was driving you back then?
I just knew I wanted to go to the Olympic Games. In reflection, I would say that I was trying to prove something to myself. I think that ultimately, I was trying to prove that I was enough.
It was great to be a guest on Jeff Bullas’ podcast recently.
Jeff is an online entrepreneur, influencer, author and speaker on all things digital. He has been featured on Forbes as a “Top 20 Influencer of Chief Marketing Officers” and ranked #1 Global “Digital Marketing Influencer”. His work has been featured in the New York Times, Entrepreneur, Inc., and Huffington Post. Having built a social media tribe of over 700k followers, he now advises startups on marketing and influencer strategy.
Jeff and I met back in my Bluewire Media marketing days and have become great friends, sharing highs and lows of our journeys both personally and professionally.
In this interview we cover a bit of ground:
- The three questions that have guided my professional journey.
- The rocky road to Athens Olympics and my physiological response to the stress and pressure.
- The four business ideas that we assessed before starting Bluewire Media and our decision criteria.
- The role of crucible situations in my development.
- How death forced me to look in the mirror.
- Why Jeff as a social media influencer has reduced his social media interactions.
- The tweak in my understanding of a key Buddhism story that made me realise that acceptance is a never ending practice.
- How an evidence-based triangle can help people work better with stress and pressure.
You can find Jeff all over the web: